Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I've organized the topic into these main questions:

1)      What is expected of a doctor regarding patient care?
2)      How does American society view doctors and surgeons?
-          How has this view changed in the last 50 years?
3)      How do doctors view patients?
4)      What needs to be done to satisfy the needs of both parties?

What I have done so far tells me that the bulk of the problem is in the doctor-patient relationship. Communication is failing in both the basic sense and in that each is unaware of the other's expectations for them. Patients are left feeling unheard and doctors are trying harder to be careful than to acurately treat their illnesses. Legislation in recent years has made it harder for residents to work effectively because of the shortened shift hours. They are given less time to do the same amount of work, leading to reduced follow-up care and attention to detail. I can't find much written about american society and our doctors, so I'm going to watch some TED talks and see what I can take from them. After that, and a bit more solid research, I'll make up the survey.

No comments:

Post a Comment